At Dr. Blum’s & Associates, we are here for you and your family! If you are staying closer to home and not venturing out quite yet, there are some simple things you can do to maintain your dental health until you’re ready to make your next appointment.
With so many of us working from home today our normal routine ends up on the back burner. We put appointments off that we know we should schedule. One thing gets piled on top of another and it all just seems like too much!
Here’s the good news…There are simple things you can do to ensure that you are taking care of your teeth until you can get to your dentist.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day using fluoride toothpaste. If you indulge in something sugary or gooey, brush after. Always choose a soft toothbrush and be gentle, don’t scrub. Remember to brush your tongue too.
- Change your toothbrush at least every 3 months. If you’ve been sick, change it once you begin to feel better.
- Floss at least once a day, twice is better! Remember that flossing is not only to remove any food from between your teeth but more importantly to polish those surfaces. Plaque and tartar don’t like a smooth, slick surface.
- Try to limit your consumption of sugary drinks like soda and juice. Sugar and acid can wear away at your tooth enamel.
- Eat a balanced diet with lots of fruits and vegetables. Healthy snacks are best, try to set an example for your kids.
- Remember to hydrate. Water is important for your entire body and also cleanses the surfaces of your teeth.
- Don’t smoke or try to smoke less. Smoking reduces your blood flow. It stains your teeth, inflames your gums, and causes cancer.
Here’s something to think about…in the world, we’re living in today, where we feel like we don’t have control over much of anything, isn’t it nice to know that YOU CAN control your oral health?